Enabling new affordable housing
The Enabling team are part of the Council's Strategic Housing section and one of the main functions of this team is to enable the increase in the supply of affordable housing within the City.
The new Affordable Housing Planning Document provides guidance to developers on the delivery of affordable housing in Worcester.
The scheme shown to the right is Elbury Mount in Worcester which is a development built through partnership working by West Mercia Housing, Housing Corporation, Worcestershire County Council and Worcester City Council. This development provided new residential housing for over 80 households for private sale, rent and shared ownership tenures.
Affordable housing is provided to meet the needs of those who are unable to buy or rent housing generally on the open market. In Worcester this normally takes the form of social rented or shared ownership through a Housing Association. As Councils are no longer allowed to build new homes we work closely with housing associations and private developers to enable the build of new affordable housing.
The key activities of the enabling section are:
- identifying local housing needs and demands (click here to order a copy of our Housing Requirements Study)
- supporting the provision of affordable housing
- supporting the provision of specialized/supported accommodation through new build and/or conversion of existing buildings.
- Affordable Housing Development – Click here to find out more about how the Strategic Housing Team support the provision of affordable housing.
- Affordable Housing Policy Find out more about our policies for providing affordable housing please click here.
- Preferred Development Partners We work with preferred partner housing associations to provide affordable housing in the City – click here to find out more.
- Guidance for Developers/Landowners If you a looking to develop in the City and would like to find out more about how we will work with you please click here.
- Publication List - please click here to download/purchase copies of Strategic Housing publications.