A new swimming pool for Worcester
See the new pool being built
Worcester’s new state-of-the-art competition-standard swimming pool is taking shape at Perdiswell, with construction work having begun in November 2015.
The £10.5m new pool extension is the main part of a full refurbishment of Perdiswell Leisure Centre and is due to open its doors at the start of 2017.
The new eight-lane, 25-metre main pool will include seating for 250 spectators. It will host regional competitions but will also be suitable for swimmers of all abilities, with a depth ranging from one metre to two metres.
Sport England has approved the new facilities and supported them with £2m in funding from its Strategic Facilities Fund, devoted to supporting the right facilities in the right areas to get more people to play sport. The funding is a recognition of the importance of the pool in developing Worcester as a vibrant sporting city.
The existing gym and sports hall are staying open while the majority of the construction takes place. The pool at Sansome Walk will remain open until the Perdiswell pool is open.
Exciting new features
Artist impression of main pool in foreground
- 25 x 18m eight lane main pool
- 18 x 10m learner pool with moveable floor
- Facilities for disabled people, including Pool Pod hoists
- Pool Hall seating for 250 spectators
- Large fitness gym with 110-120 stations
- Spin Studio with 25 bikes
- Fully refurbished 8-court Sports Hall
- Sports Hall seating for 86 spectators
- 3 separate Fitness Studios
- 2 Teaching Rooms
Additional funding for the scheme is also being provided by the Heart of Worcestershire College, which will benefit from access to and extensive use of a number of facilities during term time including half of the sports hall, studios and new dedicated classrooms.
The facilities have been designed with full input from funders and partner and stakeholder organisations including Sport England, The County Sports Partnership, Heart of Worcestershire College, The Amateur Swimming Association, Worcester Swimming Club, and Disability Sport Worcester.
The new pool is being built by Worcestershire-based developer Speller Metcalfe and will be operated by Freedom Leisure, which has been awarded a 10-year contract to manage all the Council’s sport and leisure centres.
Updates from Speller Metcalfe
Now we are some way into the construction works at Perdiswell Leisure Centre, we wanted to give you an update on what has happened on site over the last few months and what is coming up over the summer.
So far we have:
- Completed the initial ground works to the new swimming pool. This includes undertaking the foundations, footings, beams, bases and drainage.
- The drainage has been incorporated with the car park drainage which links up to a swale - a low tract of land that has been created to store excess rainwater which can then be released at a managed level to avoid excess standing water.
- We have erected the majority of the steel which is around 80% complete, and you can now begin to see the shape of the building.
- Excavation of the multi-use pool is complete (the smaller of the two pools), with works to the construction including the tiered seating units now on display.
- Tarmacking has been completed on the north car park which is now fully functional and being used by the general public.
Soon you will start to see the walls of the extension appear as we move into the summer months.
For any residents that have any questions about the projects, we would encourage you to contact our site team.
- Project Manager: Ed McDonald - 07580 874444
- Contract Manager: John MacKay - 07975 817198
- Health &Safety Manager: Tony Bakewell - 07837 927102
- Environmental Manager: Dan Gamson - 07896 759779