Council Tax Support is the system under which councils give discounts on Council Tax bills to help people who have a low income.  Before April 2013 it was called Council Tax Benefit.

From 1 April 2014 changes were made to Council Tax Support in Worcester for some working age people. Pensioners will not be affected.

The changes are:

  1. Maintenance payments, apart from child maintenance, will be taken into account when we calculate if you are eligible to receive Council Tax Support
  2. You will not qualify for Council Tax Support if you have capital (savings etc) of £6,000 or more
  3. We will no longer provide the Second Adult Rebate
  4. The maximum discount provided under Council Tax Support will be limited to the equivalent of a Band D property, even if you live in a property in a higher band
  5. The smallest amount of Council Tax Support that can be claimed is £5 a week
  6. We will no longer backdate any Council Tax Support claims.

How much will I have to pay?

Your bill will tell you exactly how much you have to pay each month and how to pay it.  

Who is affected by the changes?

Some working age people who receive Council Tax Support may see changes to the amount they have to pay.  The Government has said that pensioners must be protected, so they will not be affected by the changes.

Why are we making the changes?

The benefits system, along with Government funding for it, changed in April 2013. We now get less money from the Government to pay for Council Tax Support, so we have been forced to make changes. We have held a public consultation to gather views on a range of possible changes to our scheme. The changes we have made are based on responses to that consultation.

What do I need to do?

We will calculate any changes to your bill. When you get your bill, check it is for the correct amount and then arrange for it to be paid.  Details about how to do this are with your bill. It is important that you pay your instalments on time. The easiest way to pay is via direct debit.

I'm worried about how to pay

If you are worried about how you will be able to pay your bill or need advice on managing money, the following websites may be able to help you:

I can't afford to pay, what can I do?

Contact us straight away at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Is there any extra help for people who are struggling to pay because of changes to their Council Tax Support?

For residents suffering from extreme, short-term financial hardship as a direct result of changes we have made in the Council Tax Support scheme, we may be able to offer limited short-term help through our Exceptional Hardship Fund. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Will the changes affect how much Housing Benefit I get?

Where can I go for advice and help?

If you have any questions about the changes to Council Tax Support or need advice about anything related to Council Tax e-mail This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.