Affordable housing: Guidance for developers/landowners
How we work with you
If you are a developer or a landowner this section explains how we work with you to ensure affordable housing is considered when proposals are made for new housing.
The South Worcestershire Development Plan was adopted in February 2016, and shortly afterwards, the Affordable Housing Supplementary Planning Document 2016. A link to the full list of Supplementary Planning Documents and Guidance - Worcester City Council is here.
The Council commit to:
- Negotiate with you at the earliest stage regarding the provision of affordable housing on sites proposed for residential development to help avoid any abortive work on your part.
- Discuss with you the mix of affordable housing to be provided on site. This will be based on housing need for the City and the type of housing to be provided on site.
- Liaise closely with yourselves, our Planning Department and the Registered Provider regarding the provision of affordable housing.
- Attend Planning Committee meetings where necessary to support the planning application.
- Provide you with a list of our preferred housing association partners who work in the Worcester City area and who consistently deliver on housing management and development targets.
Working with a preferred partner housing association can provide many benefits to a developer/landowner and these include the following:
- The Association has been through a selection process with the local authority
- The Association has a proven record in delivering affordable housing and has excellent housing management skills.
- The Association and its staff have a good knowledge of the Worcester area with an understanding of local needs and priorities
- The Association has housing stock in the area and existing housing management arrangements
- A close working relationship has been built up with the Local Authority
- Up to date contact details can be provided for the partner housing associations.
- The Associations are actively developing in this area.