Animal boarding establishments

If you want to carry on a business which involves providing accommodation for other people's cats or dogs, you need an animal boarding establishment licence from us. Before we can grant you a licence we have to be satisfied that the premises you are going to use are adequate in terms of:

  • construction, size, number of occupants, exercise facilities, temperature, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness
  • that animals will be adequately supplied with food and drink, bedding material, adequately exercised and visited at suitable intervals
  • that adequate precautions are in place in case of infectious disease
  • that adequate fire and emergency precautions are in place
  • that a suitable register of animals boarded is maintained.

It is becoming increasingly popular for individuals to carry out small-scale commercial boarding of dogs within their own home. This activity also requires a licence and you must also comply with licence conditions.

Apply online

You can apply online for a licence via the GOV.UK website

Apply online

You can also renew your existing animal boarding licence online, here

Renew online

Apply by post

An application form should be completed and returned to us with the relevant fee to:

Licensing, Worcester City Council, Guildhall, High Street, Worcester, WR1 2EY

You can download an application form here:

Animal Boarding Licence application form

The fees we currently charge for animal boarding establishment licences can be found on our licensing fees and charges page.

We will then ask a vet and/or officer from Worcestershire Regulatory Services to carry out an inspection and report back to us on the suitability of the premises and the applicant. The costs of this inspection must also be paid by the applicant before a licence can be issued.

Once we grant you a licence it will remains in force until the 31 December of that year when it will then expire. At this point you must renew the licence if you want to carry on operating as an animal boarding establishment.

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please get in touch.

Fire Safety

You can find advice on fire safety in animal premises on the GOV.UK website