Apply for Universal Credit

How do I apply and what will I need to make a claim?

Claims can only be made online through the official Universal Credit website here.  If you and your partner live together then you will need to apply as a couple.
To apply you will need:

  • An active email address
  • A mobile phone number
  • Details of your bank account, building society or credit union account
  • Your rent or mortgage costs
  • Your wage details
  • Details of any savings or investments
  • Your National Insurance Number
  • Details of any children and/or your partner
  • Details of how much you pay for childcare (if applying for help with childcare costs)

You also have to verify your identity which can be done by appointment in person at your local Jobcentre or online. To do this you will need ID such as:

  • Driving licence
  • Passport
  • Debit or credit card

Other forms of ID are accepted. Ask at your local Jobcentre for details.

Guides to help homeless people claim and manage Universal Credit

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has published guides for homeless people and the organisations supporting them when making and managing a Universal Credit claim. The guides give specialised guidance for people experiencing homelessness and have been developed with a range of stakeholders in the homelessness and advice sectors.

What if I do not have access to the internet?

If you do not have access to the internet then you can use computers for free at the Hive or your local library:

You will need to be a library member and have your library card with you to use a computer.

Help making your claim

Citizens Advice Bureau

From April 2019 the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) have funded Citizens Advice to provide Universal Support. The support scheme will help claimants through every step of making a Universal Credit claim. It will offer people the comprehensive and practical support they need to get their first payment on time and be ready to manage it when it arrives.

About Worcester Citizens Advice Bureau & WHABAC

  • Worcester Citizens Advice Bureau & WHABAC provide an independent, comprehensive advice and support service to their clients.
  • They are based in two locations in Worcester at Lowesmoor and the Hopmarket. The service is also delivered from Outreach Centres.
  • They provide information/ advice on Debt, Benefits, Housing, Family, Employment, Public Law and many other general areas of advice.

Contact Worcester Citizens Advice Bureau & WHABAC

  • Phone:  0344 411 303 to arrange a face to face appointment, get email or webchat advice, and find our location.
  • Website:
  • Address: The Hopmarket, The Foregate, Worcester WR1 1DL
  • Opening times:
    • Monday – 9:30AM – 4:00PM

      Tuesday – 9:30AM – 4:00PM
      Wednesday – 9:30AM – 4:00PM
      Thursday – CLOSED
      Friday – 9:30AM – 4:00PM
      Saturday -CLOSED
      Sunday – CLOSED

As Universal Credit is run by the Department for Work and Pensions, and not Worcester City Council, we regret we cannot help you with the detail of your claim or offer advice regarding your particular circumstances.

If you need this kind of support then please contact your work coach or call the free Universal Credit Helpline on 0800 328 5644 between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays).

Alternatively, if you rent a property from Rooftop Housing or Fortis Living then you will also be able to access help and support from their specialist teams.

Improve your digital skills

Courses and free sessions are available to help you improve your confidence and learn new skills when using a computer and going online. also offers free training.

Advice for the self-employed

While Universal Credit works in principle in the same way for people who are self-employed, there are some differences in how the amount you receive is calculated. The Money Advice Service has more information here.