Coronavirus measures and funeral services at our crematorium
Measures have been put in place in line with Government legislation section 5 (8) Health Protection (Coronavirus Restrictions (England) Regulations 2020.
To help prevent the spread of Coronavirus (Covid-19) and ensure continuity of critical services, a maximum of ten mourners are permitted at burials and cremations. New safety measures are being followed before, during and after services.
We are seeking the support of everybody to make funeral arrangements in a timely manner to ensure that we can continue to provide the best possible service under the circumstances. We wish to avoid, if at all possible, any changes to our services that might limit your future choices with regard to the time and dates of the funeral service and also the number of people that may be present.
We are now taking bookings for 45-minute funeral services.
|09:00||30 minutes (First)|
|16:00||45 minutes (Last)|
What we’re doing
- restricting funeral attendance to a maximum of fourteen mourners. This must be immediate family or very close friends only
- enforcing social distancing across all of our sites
- temporarily removing all our hymn books; most orders of service have the hymns printed in them
- promoting the free use of web live streaming of services via Obitus (see below)
- advising mourners and attendees not to touch, kiss or come into contact with the coffin
- encouraging the use of wheeled biers to bring coffins into the chapel, rather than shouldering the coffin
- instructing staff to wipe down coffins before handling along with wiping down all public touch points, both before and after each service
- asking funeral directors to continue to assist with recording and memorialising the service for family and friends who can’t attend.
We are working hard to maintain bereavement services in Worcester, and we will continue to review Government and Public Health England guidelines on large gatherings and share updates as soon as possible.
What you can do
To help with social distancing all people are asked to:
- drop paperwork off at our letter box
- use email and phone calls rather than face-to-face meetings
If you need to meet a member of staff in person, make an appointment using the contact details below.
You should not attend a funeral or visit any of our sites if you:
- have tested positively for coronavirus
- are self-isolating.
If the deceased has passed away because of coronavirus.
In the case of funerals of individuals who have passed away due to the Coronavirus, we will use our discretion to determine when services can take place.
- Phone: 01905 22633
You can get more public health advice on the NHS page about coronavirus.
Worcester Crematorium features a fully accessible chapel, public waiting area, toilets with baby changing facilities, and Remembrance Room, where the Book of Remembrance is located. The free 61 bay car park includes two disabled bays.
- The chapel can accommodate 105 people seated with some additional space for standing.
- Service times are every 30 minutes.
- For larger attendances there are external speakers that allow for people to stand outside the chapel and listen to the service.
- A flat screen TV is also available in the waiting room for a small amount of over-spill mourners.
- In the chapel there is a large screen that can be used to display visual tributes such as slide shows and video tributes from a media system that we use called Obitus.
- The chapel is available for services of any denomination or faith.
- Music is often an integral part of the service and choice of music is most important to families. The funeral director will liaise with Obitus for all music and any tributes for each service in advance. We have access to a large internet library of music and provided it is commercially available, we are able to play any appropriate piece of music during the service. Alternatively there is provision for an electric organ which is available at no extra charge.
- We are also able to record your service onto an audio CD, DVD, Blu-Ray, USB for an additional fee. We also have live website castings that can be arrange through Obitus for additional fees.
During current national events our live webcast will be a free service due to the limited number or people allowed within the chapel. Please speak to your funeral director on how to add this to you service. Please note that the live webcast has a maximum of 100 logins per service due to the streaming capacity.
The above services are subject to advance notice, which your funeral director or the cemetery office can make the suitable arrangements.
We are now limiting services to a maximum of fourteen people, ideally just close family. Whilst waiting outside for a service please be aware of the two-metre rule and respect other people's space. Government regulations are changing daily and we will continue to update funeral directors as we receive Government guidance.
After the service, the exit door opens out to the wreath terrace where family and friends may gather around floral tributes.
In all cases, any charges that involve the use of the Chapel, only apply to the hire of the building and its internal fittings – personal requirements for any service in the Chapel will always be at the expense of the hirers. Whilst we make every effort to accommodate all access needs in relation to physical access to this, personal requirements in relation to any form of interpreting or other personal care or support will always be the responsibility of the hirer.
If you decide to use a funeral director, it's important you discuss all your needs and wishes with them so we can work together to deliver the service you require.
We work with the Institute of Cemetery & Crematorium Management (ICCM) in the recycling of metal implants following a cremation. This year in 2019, we are pleased to announce that our chosen charity is Footsteps.
Infant Cremation Policy Statement
Worcester Crematorium is committed to the sensitive and respectful care of all of those entrusted to us. Our policies and processes for infant cremation are aligned to the latest guidance on Infant Cremation.
- The crematorium has easy access and egress for disabled visitors. A wheelchair is available on request.
- An induction loop system is in place for hearing impaired visitors and large print hymn books available for the visually impaired visitor.
- Car park includes two disabled bays.
Cemetery and Crematorium Office
Worcester, WR3 8HA
Telephone: 01905 22633