Skip to main content
How can we help you?
Business Rates

Appeals and Advice


If you wish to appeal against your rateable value you must do so to the Valuation Office Agency. Further information on the grounds for making an appeal, and on how to make one, can be found on the Valuation Office Agency website. and the Valuation Tribunal Service website.


You do not have to be represented in discussions about your rateable value or your rates bill, just contact us, or the Valuation Office Agency.

If you wish to make an appeal against rateable values you can do it free of charge. However if you do wish to be represented you should be aware that members of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and the Institute of Revenues Rating and Valuation (IRRV) are qualified and are regulated by rules of professional conduct designed to protect the public from misconduct.

You can get further information by visiting the RICS website or the IRRV website.

Before you employ a rating adviser, you should check that they have the necessary knowledge and expertise, as well as appropriate indemnity insurance. Take great care and, if necessary, seek further advice before entering into any contract.

Further information on Business Rates can be found at the Directgov website.

In this section
Business Rates