This grant scheme is available through funding provided to the City Council under the Future High Street Programme.
About the scheme
The grant scheme aims to encourage vacant and under-occupied property owners to invest in their buildings, attract tenants and improve the vitality and vibrancy of the Northern Gateway area of Worcester town centre.
The visual appearance of a property along with its full active use contributes to both the overall impression and reputation of an area. Well maintained and fully occupied properties make an area feel more welcoming to local residents and visitors, improve its image and contribute towards a stronger sense of identity. In addition, the increased footfall to the area results in greater spend in local facilities and businesses.
Property owners seeking to undertake external and internal property improvement works to enhance the lettability, functionality and appearance of their property are encouraged to apply for grant assistance through the scheme. The grant allows for payment towards these works at no cost to the owners.
Who can apply?
The Property Enhancement Scheme is available to both existing businesses and owners of vacant / under-occupied units that are located within Angel Street and The Cross.
The scheme allows tenants of properties to apply for a grant as well as property owners, as long as the terms of their current lease has a minimum of 3 years unexpired.
Applications are also welcomed from groups of businesses and individuals seeking to improve the external appearance or communal areas of a building. For group applications, a single point of contact must be nominated, who will accept overall responsibility for the grant. Joint projects will be evaluated on their ability to improve the visual amenity of the area and create full use of properties.
The Available Grants
Your property could be eligible for a grant of up to £30,000 under Phase 1 of the scheme, which is open until June 2022. As such we encourage you to take action as soon as possible to ensure you benefit from this scheme.
The following work will generally be considered as eligible works able to receive support under the Property Enhancement Grants Scheme:
- All works which facilitate full active use of vacant floorspace
- Provision of separate access to upper floors
- Access improvements to and around the building
- Repair of external elevations and roofing areas which improve the visual amenity of the property as well as facilitating occupancy
- Replacement/repair/repainting of external fabric/joinery (in suitable colour and/or materials)
- Incorporation of renewable and sustainable measures which promote a reduction in lifetime costs for future occupiers
The scheme will generally not fund ANY of the following:
- Projects where contractors have already been appointed to undertake the work before a formal offer of grant funding has been made
- Land purchase or leasing
- Professional fees associated with the development and delivery of the project, including planning application fees, Building Control fees, consultancy fees, fees for other consents as required to carry out work, and advisory services
- Interest/banking fees
- Lighting within window displays
- Window display products and equipment
- Externally mounted security features