Businesses have a major role to play in helping protect and enhance the environment.
Carbon Trust studies have shown that businesses that use energy and resources more efficiently are generally more profitable. Not only that but firms with a low carbon footprint are more popular with consumers and employees alike.
The SME Climate Hub also have great resources available that can be accessed free of charge.
Some examples of steps you can take include:
- Switching to a renewable energy supplier
- Improving the energy efficiency of buildings (this can be as simple as having energy efficient bulbs)
- Developing a travel to work policy (this can include introducing a Cycle to Work scheme or incentives for staff to choose active modes)
- Replacing a company vehicle with an EV
- Installing solar panels
- Installing a low carbon heating system (such as a Heat Pump)
- Discussing Net Zero commitments with any suppliers
The Council uses the SHIFT scheme to incentivise staff to cycle, walk or wheel to work and for business travel. You can find more information on their website.
The Government has recently introduced a ban on single use plastic for businesses meaning they can no longer supply, sell or offer certain single-use plastic items in England including polystyrene. This includes plates, bowls, trays, containers, cutlery and balloon sticks.
Locally this is being enforced by Worcestershire Regulatory Services.
More information can be found on the Environmental Health page.