The government and the NHS have updated their advice on COVID-19.
If you have: a new continuous cough or a high temperature (37.8 degrees or higher), you should stay at home for 7 days.
For more information from NHS go to NHS - Coronavirus (COVID-19) page (opens in a new window).
What is Coronavirus?
Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) is a new strain of coronavirus first identified in Wuhan City, China.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) is an illness which can affect the lungs and airways.
Symptoms of Coronavirus include fever and respiratory symptoms including coughing and shortness of breath.
Generally, coronavirus can cause more severe symptoms in people with weakened immune systems, older people, and those with long-term conditions like diabetes, cancer and chronic lung disease.
What to do if you have symptoms
If you are concerned about yourself or friends and family who maybe displaying symptoms please ring the NHS 111 and do not go to your GP
- Guidance for households with possible coronavirus infection
- Visit NHS 111 website for more information on Coronavirus and what to do if you have symptoms (opens in a new window)
Remember the NHS advice
Guidance for professionals
Guidance for employers and businesses
- Coronavirus guidance for employers and businesses from GOV.UK (opens in a new window)
- The Government’s Business Support Helpline (opens in a new window)
- Business Rate Relief
- Social distancing guidance (opens in a new window)
Key Worker guidance
The guidance sets out those whose work is critical to the coronavirus response and keeping crucial public services going. Employers need to be responsible about who needs to be in the office and we encourage them to help their staff find alternative arrangements to support them working from home.
Advice for the transport sector
NHS website and GOV.UK websites providing guidance and information, along with the latest updates.
- NHS Coronavirus overview (opens in a new window)
- Coronavirus travel advice from .GOV.UK (opens in a new window)
- Expert interview: What is contact tracing? from Public Health Matters (opens in a new window)
- What is self-isolation and why is it important? From Public Health Matters (opens in a new window)
Who can I contact if I can't find the information I need?
If you have a query or issue that cannot be addressed within the guidance, please do not hesitate to contact the Health Protection Team at Public Health England:
Telephone: 0344 225 3560
Telephone out of hours: 01384 679031