From Monday, 28 September 2020, you are required by law to self-isolate if you are told to do so by NHS Test and Trace.

The Government has introduced a £500 support payment to help people on low incomes who have to self-isolate. The scheme will run until 31 January 2021 but is being kept under review by the Government. Worcester City Council is responsible for making the payments. Please read all of the information on this page before applying.

Do I qualify for this scheme?

To qualify for the payment, you will need to meet all of the criteria below:

  • you have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace on or after 28 September, 2020
  • you are employed or self-employed
  • you cannot work from home and will lose money as a result
  • you are claiming at least one of the following benefits: Universal Credit, Working Tax Credits, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Pension Credit or Housing Benefit.

Who cannot apply for a payment?

You cannot apply for this scheme if:

  • You do not have a valid notification from NHS Test and Trace
  • You have been told to self-isolate before the 28 September, 2020. This applies even if your period of self-isolation overlaps this date
  • You are self-isolating after returning from abroad (unless you have tested positive for Covid-19 and been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace)
  • You are on furlough. The self-isolation support payment is only for people who will lose money because they cannot work while self-isolating
  • You can work from home while self-isolating
  • If you are the owner or employee of a business that has been required to close due to national lockdown restrictions because you will not be losing income due to self-isolation, as the business has been required to temporarily close.
  • You are not claiming one of the benefits listed. You may qualify for help from the local discretionary self-isolation support scheme.

What proof do I need to provide?

To prove you are eligible for the scheme, you will need to fill in the online application form on this page and provide the following information:

  • National Insurance (NI) number
  • Your 8 digit NHS Test and Trace ID number
  • Proof of benefit entitlement - Accepted evidence includes a recent (within 2 months) benefit award letter or email, a screenshot or photograph of Universal Credit journal showing award and payment date, or a recent (within 2 months) bank statement showing the benefit payments in your account.
  • If you are employed:
    1. A recent bank statement (within the last two months)
    2. Proof of employment (for example wage slip).
    3. Evidence showing a reduction in your wage from your employer (For example, a letter, email or notice from your employer).
  • If you are self-employed:
    1. A recent bank statement (within the last two months)
    2. Proof of self-employment (for example, evidence of self-assessment returns, trading income)
    3. Proof that you cannot deliver services without social contact

Local discretionary self-isolation support scheme

If you meet all the other criteria for the self-isolation support payment, but you are not claiming one of the benefits listed and self-isolating will cause you severe financial hardship, then you may still qualify for help from the local discretionary self-isolation support scheme.

If this applies to you, please fill in the application form as normal, but when you get to the question about claiming benefits, choose ‘none of these’. Carry on to complete and submit the form.

Can other people I am living with make a claim?

If there are other people living in your household, then they can make their own application to the scheme, as long as they meet the eligibility criteria.

Can I claim on someone else’s behalf?

You can apply on someone else’s behalf, but the £500 must be paid into the bank account in the name of the person you are applying on behalf of. For example, if you are applying on behalf of a parent, the money must be paid into your parent’s bank account.

I have been asked to self-isolate more than once. Can I claim again?

If you are told to self-isolate more than once, you will be able to apply for the payment again, as long as you still meet the eligibility criteria and your periods of self-isolation do not overlap.

How long do I have to claim?

You can make a claim up to 14 days after your self-isolation period ends, as long as it started on or after 28 September 2020.

Apply for a self-isolation support payment

 Please note, due to Christmas and New Year office closures, applications received between Friday 25 and Tuesday 29 December 2020 will not be processed until the 30 December 2020. Applications received between Friday 1 January and Sunday 3 January 2021 will not be processed until the week commencing Monday 4 January 2021. Thank you for your understanding.

Apply for a Self-isolation Support Payment

If you are unable to complete this form online, or need help completing it, then please call 01905 722233, selecting Option 8 and then Option 4. You will be asked to leave a voicemail message and someone will get back to you and set up a mutually convenient telephone appointment to take you through the application process. You will be advised of information that will be required to complete the application.

Other financial support

If you are on a low income but do not qualify for a self-isolation support payment, or the local discretionary scheme, then you may be able to apply for Statutory Sick Pay, Universal Credit or another benefit.

Other help while you are self-isolating

If you need help while you are self-isolating, such as deliveries of food or medicine, then please fill in the Worcestershire Here 2 Help I need help form.