What is Council Tax?

Council Tax is a local tax set by your local councils.

It helps to pay for local services such as schools, libraries, refuse collection and sports centres which are provided by Worcester City Council, Worcestershire County Council, West Mercia Police and Hereford & Worcester Fire Authority.

If you live in the parish of Warndon or St Peters you will also pay a small amount for parish council services.

You pay your Council Tax to the City Council and we send the county, police or parish the amounts they have asked for.

You can find out more about what your Council Tax pays for in our Council Tax leaflet and by using the links below.

The Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government has made an offer to adult social care authorities. ("Adult social care authorities" are local authorities which have functions under Part 1 of the Care Act 2014, namely county councils in England, district councils for an area in England for which there is no county council, London borough councils, the Common Council of the City of London and the Council of the Isles of Scilly).

The offer is the option of an adult social care authority being able to charge an additional “precept” on its council tax for financial years from the financial year beginning in 2016 without holding a referendum, to assist the authority in meeting expenditure on adult social care. Subject to the annual approval of the House of Commons, the Secretary of State intends to offer the option of charging this “precept” at an appropriate level in each financial year up to and including the financial year 2019-20.

Who has to pay the Council Tax?

  • There is one Council Tax bill for each property.
  • In most cases someone living in the property will be responsible for the Council Tax (the ‘liable person'). That will be either the owner-occupier or a tenant if the property is rented.
  • If no-one lives at an address, or it is not the main home of the people living there, then the owner has to pay.

How much will I have to pay?

  • How much you pay will depend on which valuation band your property is in and your personal circumstances.
  • Every property has been valued by the Inland Revenue Listing Officer. You can find out which band your property is in by looking on your Council Tax bill, or by contacting us.

Council Tax Bands for 2019-2020

Valuation Band Worcester City (£) Warndon Parish (£) St Peter's Parish (£)
A 1165.09 1183.54 1176.76
B 1359.26 1380.79 1372.87
C 1553.46 1578.06 1569.02
D 1747.63 1775.31 1765.13
E 2136.00 2169.83 2157.39
F 2524.34 2564.32 2549.62
G 2912.72 2958.85 2941.89
H 3495.26 3550.62 3530.26


The Council Tax Leaflet 2019 shows you how much of your Council Tax goes to Worcestershire County Council, West Mercia Police, Hereford & Worcester Fire Authority, Worcester City Council and your parish council (if you live in Warndon or St Peters)

  • You could pay less than the amount shown for your property band if you qualify for a discount, benefit or reduction for disability.
  • You can challenge your Council Tax band if you think it’s wrong, but you should continue to pay your Council Tax bill while you do this.

Council Tax Bands for 2018-2019

Valuation Band Worcester City (£) Warndon Parish (£) St Peter's Parish (£)
A 1114.55 1131.87 1125.98
B 1300.31 1320.52 1313.65
C 1486.07 1509.16 1501.31
D 1671.83 1697.81 1688.98
E 2043.35 2075.10 2064.31
F 2414.87 2452.40 2439.64
G 2786.38 2829.68 2814.96
H 3343.66 3395.62 3377.96

I'm moving, how do I tell you?

If you are moving house, or if someone is joining or leaving your household you need to tell us.

You can do this by using one of our council tax on-line moving forms or by looking at the details of how to contact us.

In addition you'll also need to contact Electoral Services to update the electoral register. To amend your electoral registration details please see contact/registration details below.

  • Electoral Register Helpline:  01905 722530 ,
  • Electoral Services Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or
  • Electoral Register online at: www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

Could I pay less Council Tax?

You could pay less Council Tax if you qualify for one or more of these reductions:

  • Council Tax Support – for people on low incomes
  • discount – for example, if you are the only adult at your address
  • reduction for disabilities – for homes adapted for a person with a disability

How do I get Council Tax Support?

  • You have to claim Council Tax Support – it will not be given automatically
  • You can only claim if you live at the property and you are the person who has to pay the Council Tax (the ‘liable person')

You should claim if:

  • you are on low income
  • you are on Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance

How much you get will depend on:

  • your personal circumstances, income and savings
  • your partner's circumstances, income and savings
  • the circumstances of other adults living in your home
  • Please note – you will not qualify if you have savings of £16,000 or more.
  • If you make a claim, please make sure that you provide all the details and documents that we ask for on the form. We will then be able to work out your benefit quickly and accurately. You must provide original documents to support your claim – for example, payslips as proof of your income.

Can people with a disability get a reduction?

You could get a reduction if at least one resident in your home is substantially and permanently disabled.

To qualify for a reduction your home must contain either

  • a room used mainly by the person with the disability – for example, an extension or extra room used for storing dialysis equipment or wheelchairs, or
  • an extra bathroom or kitchen for use by the disabled person, or
  • extra space inside the property to allow for use of a wheelchair.

The person with the disability could be an adult or child. The extra room or facility must be essential to enable them to live in the property or to prevent their health suffering or their disability becoming more severe.

If you qualify for a reduction the amount of Council Tax you pay will be based on the band below the one your property is in. For example, if your property is in band C we will only charge the amount for band B. If your property is in band A you will still get a reduction.

If you think your household might qualify please contact us to find out how to apply.

What should I do if my circumstances change?

If your circumstances change in any way which could affect your Council Tax you must tell us immediately. Examples include:

  • your household moving to a new address
  • someone moving into or out of your property – if it affects your entitlement to a discount, benefit or liability to pay
  • other changes which could affect your discount or liability – for example, someone becoming 18-years-old in a household with only one other person or a student finishing their course.

If in doubt, contact us for advice.

What if I think my bill is wrong?

  • You should contact us immediately if you think your Council Tax bill is wrong in any way.

How can I find out more about my Council Tax?