Permitted Development

What is Permitted Development?

You can make certain types of minor changes to your house without needing to apply for planning permission. These are called "permitted development rights"

There is "permitted development" for a wide range of building works but they can be different from one property to the next, depending upon whether the house is a listed building, is in a conservation area, the type of works proposed and its position on the house.

Therefore you should proceed with care. One way of checking whether your proposal needs permission is to view the householder's guide on the Planning Portal that can explain permitted development for all types of house and proposal.

The City Council also provide a ‘Permitted Development Enquiry' service, which for the avoidance of doubt will provide a written response to the applicant concerning whether the development they wish to proceed with is permitted development or whether a formal application for planning permission is needed.

The cost for householders permitted development enquiries is £30.00 and the cost for all other permitted development enquiries is £65.00.

There are three types of permitted development enquiry form:

  1. permitted development enquiry form for household developments 
  2. permitted development enquiry form for garden structures
  3. permitted development enquiry form for solar panels

Please submit the correct form along with the correct fee to:

Planning Department
Worcester City Council
The Guildhall
High Street

or alternatively email;

Common Permitted Development Projects

Whilst we recommend the submission of a Permitted Development Enquiry, the National Planning Portal provides information on common projects including;

Please note our webpages will be unavailable between 03:00 - 04:00 daily for routine system maintenance