Skip to main content
How can we help you?
Environmental Health

Rubbish Nuisance

Worcester City Council encourages its residents to take some simple steps in order to resolve complaints of accumulations of rubbish themselves.

These nuisances tend to occur at neighbouring properties, and therefore you are best placed to be able to bring these matters to the attention of your neighbour.

You are then strongly advised to tell whoever is responsible that their actions, or lack of action, are causing a nuisance. You should do this in a friendly manner, and explain exactly what problems you are suffering, such as odours, or the potential for vermin to be encouraged into the area.

A polite request that accumulations are disposed of correctly (via domestic waste collections or by taking to the local civic amenity site) will, in the majority of cases, be listened and agreed to.

If you feel that you are unable to talk to your neighbour, you may wish to write to them instead using a document standard letter template (12 KB) . You should make two copies of your letter, give one to your neighbour, and keep the other for your records. The letter on its own may solve the problem, but if not keep a record ( pdf Nuisance Diary (14 KB) ) of the dates and times, and affects that the nuisance has on you. Keep your records safely, as they may be critical evidence later on.

If after a reasonable period, two weeks for instance, no improvement has been made, you can then consider going to court and making a complaint to the Magistrates' bench. The court makes a charge for this service, and you may get costs awarded against you.

If you do wish to make such a complaint, you should contact the Magistrates' Court in Castle Street, Worcester (01905 743200). Write to the Court to make an appointment, stating that you wish to start action under Section 82 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990. The Court will advise you of where and when to attend.

If the above actions prove to be unsuccessful, then please ring Worcestershire Regulatory Services (01905 822 799) for advice and, where appropriate, further investigation.

This pdf Take Action Document (26 KB)  explains in detail how you can take this action.