What are extended payments?
Extended payments are payments of Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support that can be paid for 4 weeks after the date that someone starts work.
Extended payments are available to people who:
- Are currently in receipt of Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support.
- Have been in continuous receipt of either Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance or Severe Disability Allowance for at least 26 weeks.
- Have stopped receiving Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance or Severe Disability Allowance because they have started work.
- Have started a job which is expected to last for at least five weeks.
How much will be paid
Extended payments will be paid at the same rate as the amount of Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support that was being paid immediately prior to the date that someone starts work.
How to apply for extended payments
You must notify the Council in writing:
- That you have started/are due to start work.
- The number of hours that you are going to be working each week.
- That the job is expected to last for more than five weeks.
This information must be supplied to the Council within one month of the date that you start work.
What happens when extended payments end?
If you want to continue to claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support when your Extended Payment stops you will need to complete and return a new Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support Application Form giving details of your new circumstances
Contacting the CouncilYou may post your information/application form to:
South Worcestershire Revenues & Benefits Shared ServicesP.O. Box 11
Worcs WR10 1PU