Homeless or at Risk of Becoming Homeless

What to do if you think you might be homeless or at risk of becoming homeless

If you think you might be homeless or at risk of becoming homeless, you should make contact with the Housing Advice Team as soon as possible. You may wish to contact us via a support worker or agency of your choice such as CAB/Whabac (Worcester Housing & Benefit Advice Centre).

The Housing Advice Team  provide a high quality, customer focused service to people who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless to empower them to make informed choices about their housing options.

We believe that homelessness can be prevented in the majority, if not all, cases. There is a range of ways in which we can do this, and there are different housing options available to you in the City.

 The most important thing is don't leave it too late!

The sooner you act, the better chances you have of keeping your home or getting the help and support that need for your situation.

Complete the Housing Assessment Form ONLY if you are homeless now or likely to become homeless in the near future e.g. if you have been served notice to leave by your current housing provider. On completion of the form a housing officer will contact you.

If you lack a local connection to Worcester City, the level of assistance we will be able to offer may be limited and as such you should approach your own local authority in the first instance. To check if your home address is in the Worcester City area please use the Local Authority Lookup.

It is also important to contact the service as early as possible during the day if you have nowhere to stay. If you cannot be seen in office hours and cannot wait until the next working day, please call the Out Of Hours number 01562 733178 for assistance

The Housing Options Officer will work with you to try and prevent your homelessness or get the help and support you need given your situation. For further information please read the Homeless or at Risk of Becoming Homeless Leaflet.

Please be aware that thousands of people apply as homeless and for housing every year, the demand for housing is more than the available supply and to help you a home which meets your needs it is really important that you work closely with us, provide information when requested and have patience whilst we make our assessment.

We understand that you will be anxious and concerned about your situation, but please be assured that your Housing Officer will keep you updated about your application and notify you of the Councils decision as soon as possible. 

What to expect if you need to make an emergency homeless application

If we are unable to prevent your homelessness or to provide you with an alternative housing option you may need to make a homeless application to us.

This application asks the Council to consider what duties we owe to you and what powers the law makes available to us to assist in housing you.

 In making our decision, we need to consider the following:

  • Your eligibility for public funds
  • Whether we consider you to be homeless
  • Whether you have a priority need
  • Whether you maybe considered to be  intentionally homeless
  • Whether you have a local connection to Worcester City.     

We suggest that you seek free independent housing advice regarding this from agencies such as CAB/Whabac or Worcestershire Advice Network.

Worcestershire Advice Network website deliver advice and information services across the county. Their  services are free, independent, impartial and confidential. Worcestershire Advice Network is a partnership between; Five Worcestershire Citizen Advice bureaux as well as South Worcestershire DIAL and North Worcestershire DIAL who provide information and advice to disabled people and others on all aspects of living with a disability.

  • To access the advice or information you need: Click on the subject area you need help with and follow the link to Adviceguide for self help advice and information
  • If you cannot find what you are looking for: Complete the online form. They  will get back to you within three working days.
  • You may like to discuss your problem. The let's talk connects you to one of their trained volunteers. They will offer information and options to help you resolve your issues.

This link will take you to pages on the Shelter website which will explain what all of these terms mean, and also explain exactly what you can expect if you make a homeless application to us or any other local authority.

If we consider that you are eligible, that you are homeless and you have a priority need we will offer you emergency temporary accommodation whilst your homeless application is investigated in further detail.

If following further investigations we accept a duty to house you permanently your Housing Officer will work with you to help you secure accommodation suitable for your needs, which may be a private rented tenancy, supported accommodation or a social housing tenancy.

If following further investigations we do not accept a duty to house you we still have a duty to provide you with advice and assistance to help you secure accommodation in the private sector and, in some circumstances, temporary accommodation for a short period of time.

I want to leave my property but will have nowhere to go?

Don't leave any accommodation unless you have received advice from the Housing Advice Team. If you leave your property and then approach for help from the Housing Advice Team this may limit your options. If you would like to leave your accommodation you could always apply on Home Choice Plus for affordable housing. Please see the links below to find out more about Home Choice Plus.

 Contact Details & Websites

Emergency including Flooding & Fires

  • If your property has been damaged due to an emergency situation such as a flood or fire and the property is not safe to return to, you should first try and source accommodation with family or friends. If you are unable to source accommodation through family or friends and find yourself homeless then you should call the Housing Advice Team who will be able to advise you accordingly. If you require further advice about flooding please visit our Flooding page.