Councils are responsible for administering complaints about high hedges made under Part 8 of the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003. Making a formal high hedge complaint should be a last resort, and complainants should be able to demonstrate that they have tried to resolve the issue with the hedge owner, including attempting mediation, before submitting a complaint to the Council.

What constitutes a high hedge, and what is a valid complaint?

For trees or shrubs to be considered as a high hedge under the Act they must be all of the following:

  • Made up of a line of two or more trees or shrubs
  • Mostly evergreen or semi-evergreen
  • More than two metres in height above ground level
  • Even though there are gaps in the foliage or between the trees, the hedge is still capable of obstructing light or views

The Council can only consider a complaint if it satisfies all of the following criteria

  • It must relate to a high hedge as defined in the Act (see above)
  • It must be on land owned by someone other than the complainant
  • It must be affecting a domestic property
  • It must be brought on the grounds that the height of the hedge is adversely affecting the reasonable enjoyment of the domestic property
  • It must be brought by the owner or occupier of that property

View a summary of Government guidance or the full detailed guidance.

How is the complaint dealt with?

View further information on how a high hedge complaint is dealt with by the Council.

Worcester City Council charges a fee of £300 for high hedge complaints, which needs to be submitted together with the high hedge complaint form. Please be aware that the complaint cannot be dealt with until payment has been received by the Council.

Please submit the form by email or post, to:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Planning Department
Worcester City Council
The Guildhall
High Street