Sustainable Homes

Making your home more energy efficient is one way in which you can reduce your carbon footprint, and save money on your fuel bills at the same time. Insulating homes can make them much more comfortable to live in.

Warmer Worcestershire

Warmer WorcestershireCall the Warmer Worcestershire helpline to find out if you can reduce your fuel bills - 0800 988 2881 or 01789 842 898.

The Warmer Worcestershire Programme will give you advice and help in how to improve the energy efficiency of your home and what grants or finance options are available. The Green Deal, a new initiative, provides the opportunity to pay nothing or small amounts upfront for improvements with the majority of the costs being paid back as you save money on your energy bills. Energy saving improvements include insulation, heating, draught-proofing, double glazing and some renewable energy technologies.

If you want to get an idea of how efficient your home is, then take a look at the Heat Map of Worcestershire. This maps each house in Worcestershire, and the colour of your house gives an indication of how good your insulation is. If your house appears red then loft or cavity wall insulation will reduce the heat that your house loses. The map was produced during a night time ‘flyover' and so if you were out that night, may not be accurate.

Improvements to your home

If you want to take up the Green Deal, here's what you need to do.

  1. Get an assessment of your property to see what improvements you can make and how much you could save on your energy bills.
  2. Choose a Green Deal provider to carry out the work. You discuss with them what work you want done and whether the Green Deal is right for you.
  3. If you go ahead with the improvements you must sign a Green Deal Plan. This is a contract between you and the provider stating what work will be done and how much it will cost. The provider will then arrange for a Green Deal installer to do the work.
  4. Once the work is done, you pay off the money in instalments through your electricity bill.

If you're a landlord, you must get your tenant's permission before you sign up. If you're a tenant, you must get your landlord's permission to sign up; this also applies to social housing.

To access impartial advice on the Green Deal, contact local organisation, Act on Energy on 0800 988 2881 or 01789 842 898.


Some householders in older properties and those on benefits or low incomes may qualify for extra financial assistance through the Energy Companies Obligation (ECO). This is a new scheme, funded by energy suppliers, to help reduce Britain's energy consumption.

To find out if you are eligible contact Act on Energy on 0800 988 2881.

Energy saving tips and advice

Check out our energy saving tips (from the Energy Saving Trust) to help you get a grip on your energy bills and your carbon footprint. Monitoring and evaluating your energy use is always important, and with energy bills rising quite steeply, there's now more incentive than ever.

Renewable energy installations

The Feed-in Tariffs are a Government initiative to increase the take-up of renewable energy installations on residential and commercial buildings. If you are thinking of installing a source of renewable energy on your building, such as photovoltatic (solar) cells or wind turbines, then check out our planning advice pages on renewable energy.

Act on Energy

Act on Energy

Act on Energy is a ‘not for profit' organisation and a registered environmental charity, providing free and impartial advice to householders and small businesses in Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Coventry and surrounding areas. We want to help you make your home use less energy, have lower fuel bills, be more comfortable and have less of an adverse impact on the environment.

To contact Act on Energy, visit their website at or phone 01789 842 898.

How your business could benefit

If your business is involved in supplying and installing energy saving products you can get involved in the Green Deal.

Landlords and Rented Accommodation

If you are a landlord, then there is a wealth of information available. We'd suggest that you start with the Energy Saving Trust website.

More information

For free and impartial advice about the Green Deal and ECO:

  • Visit
  • Call Act on Energy on 0800 988 2881 or 01789 842 898
  • Call the Energy Saving Advice Service on 0300 123 1234
  • Read the quick guides for households, businesses, tenants and landlords.