The UK has left the European Union (EU). Until the end of 2020 we are in a transition period, which means our relationship with the EU does not change.

From 1 January 2021, the transition period will end and we will have a new relationship with the EU. This will affect individuals, businesses and travel.

Even if a trade agreement is reached, it will still mean changes to the way we do business with EU countries.

The information on this page will help you find out what you need to do to prepare for Brexit and to take action now.

Get a complete list of what you need to do to prepare you, your business and your family for Brexit, by using the government’s online checker.

I am an EU citizen wanting to stay in the UK

You and your family will, usually,need to apply to continue living in the UK after 31 December 2020 if you’re from any of the following:

  • the EU (except Ireland)
  • Iceland
  • Liechtenstein
  • Norway
  • Switzerland

Use the Government’s online checker to find out what you need to do to apply to stay in the UK after 31 December 2020.

Advice for businesses

If you import or export goods into the EU then the process you currently follow will change from 1 January 2021. The information below will help you understand how Brexit will impact on your business and what action you need to take.

Official government website

The Government’s official website contains a lot of information to help your business adapt to our new trading relationship with the EU. This includes information on:

Visit the official Government website on preparing to leave the EU

Herefordshire and Worcestershire Chamber of Commerce

Our local Chamber of Commerce has produced a Practical Eu Exit Support page. This contains a range of information to help get you ready for Brexit. This includes:

  • Free downloadable guides
  • FAQs on Britain exiting the EU
  • A Brexit ready checklist
  • Training

Visit the Practical EU Exit Support website.

Federation of Small Businesses: Transition Hub

The Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) has produced an information hub to help small businesses and the self-employed understand how the end of the transition period will affect them.

Visit the FSB Transition Hub

NFU: Navigating Brexit for British farming

The National Farmers’ Union has information and advice specifically for agricultural and horticultural businesses to help them prepare for Brexit.

Visit the NFU: EU Exit website

Travelling to the EU

Travel to the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein will change from 1 January 2021.

Things you may need to do before you go include:

  • check your passport
  • get travel insurance that covers your healthcare
  • check you have the right driving documents
  • organise pet travel - contact your vet at least 4 months before you go

There are more things to do if you’re travelling for business. For example, going to meetings and conferences, providing services (even with a charity), and touring art or music.

Find out more about what you need to do before travelling to the EU after 1 January 2021.

Find out what you need to do if you are travelling to the EU for business after 1 January 2021.

I am a UK Citizen planning to study/I am studying in the EU

Advice for students who are studying/plan to study higher education in any European Union (EU) country after 31 December 2020.

Buying things from Europe after 1 January 2021

There may be changes to things like your consumer rights and how much tax you need to pay when you buy products or services from the EU, Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland from 1 January 2021.

Find out more about your consumer rights when buying things from the EU from 1 January 2021.

I am a UK Citizen living in Europe

Use the Government’s online checker to find out what you need to do, and when, to continue living in the country you are in now.