Applications for our hardship schemes are now open and we encourage everyone who is entitled to make an application.‚Äč

We appreciate that this has been a very difficult time for you and we will endeavour to process your application as soon as possible.

Council Tax and Business rate relief

  • Council tax relief and Business Rate relief is available for properties affected by the recent floods
  • You can apply by emailing Council Tax at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  or Business Rates at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  and we can arrange for one of our visiting officers to go and inspect the damage.

Resilience Grant

Properties and business can apply for up to £5,000 to help make them more resilient to future flooding.

For further details on the Property Flood Resilience Grant scheme, including eligibility and useful information on recommended works, surveyors and contractors please read the PFR grant Guidance Note.

  • See a list of example eligible measures (pdf).
  • Download an application form and other forms which will be required should your application be approved in principle.
  • For hard copies of these documents, or for any other queries about the scheme, please email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Flood Recovery Grant for residential properties

  • The grant is for £500 and paid direct to the household.
  • Households are eligible where flood water has entered the habitable areas of the property, or the residence is considered unliveable for any period of time due to flooding.
  • The grant does not apply to empty homes, second homes or student accommodation.
  • Deadline for applications was 5pm on 1 May 2020

Applications for the Flood Recovery Grant have now closed.

Business Flood Recovery Grant for business premises

  • The grant is up to £2,500 per small / medium sized business affected, as a grant paid direct to the business.
  • Businesses are eligible where the business has suffered severe impacts, either directly or a loss of trade, as a result of the flooding that cannot be recovered from insurance.
  • Deadline for applications was 5pm on 1 May 2020

Applications for the Business Flood Recovery Grant have now closed.


Flood Re is a joint initiative between the Government and insurers. Its aim is to make the flood cover part of household insurance policies more affordable. You can read about How Flood Re works (pdf). It is important that people at high flood-risk in Worceseter shop around for the best insurance policy. For more information visit the Flood Re website.

A loss adjuster is someone who is employed by an insurance company to decide how much money should be paid to a person making a claim.

A loss assessor is someone appointed by a policy holder to manage a claim on their behalf.

Advice from the Association of British Insurers (ABI) about flooding resilience and on working through the insurance system after a flood:


If your home or property has been flooded it could be contaminated by oil, silt and sewage. This will need to be carefully and completely cleaned up to remove any health risk.

Contact your GP immediately if you think your health has been affected.

The Environment Agency has information about cleaning your house as well as details of organisations that can help you do this. National Health England also has a useful leaflet on how to clean up after a flood (PDF).

If you are worried about the security of your property call West Mercia Police.

Reusing and disposing of sandbags

Dry out sandbags and store them in a shed, garage or under cover so you can use them again. If you cannot store them, open them up and spread the sand on your garden if you have one. You can then treat the sacks as normal waste. If the sand or bags are contaminated, please dispose of them responsibly.

Emotional support

Having a flooded home is very stressful. If you need emotional support, contact family and friends, your doctor or an organisation like the Red Cross or the Samaritans.

Public Health England also offers a guide to mental wellbeing after a flood.