The code is written around the following six core principles:
- focusing on the Council's purpose, on outcomes for the community and on creating and implementing a vision for Worcester City;
- Members and Officers working together to achieve a common purpose with clearly defined functions and roles;
- promoting values for the Council and demonstrating the values of good governance through upholding high standards of conduct and behaviour:
- taking informed and transparent decisions which are subject to effective scrutiny and risk management;
- developing the capacity and capability of Members and Officers to be effective;
- engaging with local people and other stakeholders to ensure robust public accountability.
The Code of Corporate Governance
The Code is not just a piece of paper.
The Council's Monitoring Officer is responsible for the Code of Corporate Governance.
The Code will be reviewed and updated every year. Any significant issues found to need improvement will be reported in the Council's annual governance statement, which is published alongside our accounts every year.