If you have received a final notice and your council tax remains unpaid, we will take further recovery action to obtain the money due. This is done through the Magistrates Court.

You will be sent a summons that will tell you how much money you owe and when the hearing will be. You will be charged costs for the issue of the summons.

If you can't pay the amount in full please complete the payment proposal form sent with your summons. This may be posted to us or handed in at:

Customer Service Centre
89 The High Street

If you have problems paying your council tax please contact us, we may be able to make a special arrangement with you.

You may be entitled to benefits - why not try our benefit calculator, visit our benefit web pages or contact our benefit section to see if there is anything you can claim.

Financial Statement Form

If you’re currently in arrears or financial difficulty please complete our Financial Statement Form.


You can attend court on the date given on the summons and speak to the Magistrates. You do not have to go to court if you don't want to - the decision is yours.

Please Note: The court cannot agree a payment plan with you. If you want to do this, please contact us.

At the court hearing we will ask the Magistrates to issue a liability order against you. This can be done even if you are not present.