Skip to main content
How can we help you?

Armed Forces Housing Support

Service to Civvy Street

Members of the armed forces, ex-service personnel and their families can face unique housing challenges. The 'Service to Civvy Street' is a booklet to help ex-Service personnel and their families navigate healthcare, employment, housing, education and other support available in Worcestershire.

It has been produced by Worcestershire County Council in partnership with public and voluntary sector partners and was funded by the MOD's Community Covenant Grant Scheme.

If you have served in the Armed Forces or are the partner, spouse or family member of someone who has served in the Armed Forces then this booklet is for you.

Worcester City Council Housing Services

Our Housing Services offer advice about a wide range of housing options and services that may be of interest.

Other Useful Links

  • Army Families Federation - The Army Families Federation (AFF) is the independent voice of Army families and works hard to improve the quality of life for Army families around the world - on any aspect that is affected by the Army lifestyle.
  • Buying a home (Money Advice Service): Work out your overall buying and moving costs, first time buyer advice, and tips and tools to help you work out what you can afford
  • Combat Stress The Veteran’s’ Mental Health Charity -The UK's leading veterans' mental health charity. We treat a range of mental health conditions including PTSD, depression and anxiety.
  • Forces Help to Buy  (GOV.UK): A scheme to help armed forces personnel get on the property ladder
  • Help for Hero’s - Supports those with injuries and illnesses sustained while serving in the British Armed Forces.
  • HIVES - Information network available to all members of the Service community.
  • Blind Veterans - Blind Veterans UK helps ex-Service men and women of every generation rebuild their lives after sight loss.
  • Housing choices for ex-forces – Shelter
  • Nationwide - The Armed Forces Guide to Homes and Home Ownership (Nationwide): a useful resource to consider your housing options, outside of service accommodation, the guide will provide information and guidance on all aspects of housing tenure, from different rental options, to buying a home or becoming a landlord.
  • NHS Choices and Military Healthcare - Information and support for the UK's 10 million-strong armed forces community, including serving personnel, reservists, families and veterans.
  • Renting and Letting (Money Advice Service): Advice to help you work out how much rent you can afford, and how to budget and share costs when renting
  • Shelter: Advice on housing, where to live and homelessness.
  • SSAFA Worcestershire offers advice and assistance to anyone eligible for their help, whether they are serving or ex-service, or a family member of someone with a service connection. The SSAFA also provide housing and residential home facilities
  • Infantry Benevolent Fund
  • Worcester Citizens Advice Bureau & WHABAC  Information for people who are about to leave the armed forces, veterans and dependents, on finding accommodation. Covers sources of help and care homes for veterans and disabled ex-service personnel.
  • Worcestershire Royal British Legion provide short and long term care for serving and ex-Service people and their dependants in Royal British Legion Care Homes around the country.