In this section we outline some basic rights and responsibilities you have as a tenant. Before exploring some more specific examples. It is important to note that this is not an exhaustive list, and you should seek advise if you are unsure about your situation.

As a tenant your landlord or letting agency must provide you with the right to:

  • live in a property that is safe and in a good state of repair
  • have your deposit returned when the tenancy ends - and in some circumstances have your deposit protected
  • challenge excessively high charges
  • know who your landlord is
  • live in the property undisturbed
  • see an Energy Performance Certificate, gas safety certificate and electrical safety certificate for the property
  • be protected from unfair eviction and unfair rent
  • have a written agreement if you have a fixed-term tenancy of more than 3 years

As a Tenant you also have some responsibilities to you landlord or letting agent and the property you are staying in:

  • You should give your landlord access to the property to inspect it or carry out repairs. Your landlord has to give you at least 24 hours’ notice and visit at a reasonable time of day, unless it’s an emergency and they need immediate access.
  • take good care of the property, for example turn off the water at the mains if you are away in cold weather
  • pay the agreed rent, even if repairs are needed or you are in dispute with your landlord
  • pay other charges as agreed with the landlord, for example Council Tax or utility bills
  • repair or pay for any damage caused by you, your family, or friends
  • only sublet a property if the tenancy agreement or your landlord allows it

Your landlord has the right to take legal action to evict you if you do not meet your responsibilities.

Both Citizens Advice and the GOV.UK websites have more detailed examples to help you understand your rights and responsibilities.

The Government have also produced the how to rent guide providing a checklist and more detailed information on each step of the renting process.

I can no longer afford the rent

If you have moved into a rented property and you are finding that your rent is unmanageable then you can check to see if you are entitled to any Housing Benefit to cover your rent. You can check whether you should be entitled to this by using the Housing Benefit calculator or by contacting Worcester City Council Customer Service Centre to discuss applying for Housing Benefit.

You may also wish to see if you are receiving all the benefits that you are entitled to. You can find this out by visiting the GOV.UK website. You may require some advice on debt which you can receive by contacting the National Debt Line or Citizen Advice. The Housing Advice Team are also able to help with housing advice and preventing you from losing your tenancy. Please call if you require assistance.

I have rats, fleas, or other pests at my property

If you have rats, fleas, or other pests at your property you should inform your landlord. Your landlord does not have a responsibility to pay for pest control services but will need to be made aware of the problem. For further information please visit Worcestershire Regulatory Services website.

Landlord Harassment and Illegal Eviction

If you feel you are being harassed by your landlord or believe you face an illegal eviction then please read the advice produced by Shelter on Landlord Harassment and Illegal Eviction , if you would like to discuss your case following this then please contact the Housing Advice Team.

Relationship breakdowns

If you are currently going through a relationship breakdown, then it is important that you understand your housing rights. If your name is on the tenancy agreement then you will have the right to remain at the property, however if your name is not on the tenancy agreement then you should seek housing advice before taking further decisions. Please do not leave the accommodation without receiving advice about your rights to the property. Please check the Shelter’s guides around relationship breakdown which will provide you with more detail about your rights to a property. If you require legal advice, please contact Citizen Advice.

Domestic Abuse & Harassment

If you are experiencing domestic abuse from your partner, then please visit our dedicated Domestic Abuse & Harassment page.

House in Multiple Occupation (HMO)

If you live in a property with spaces shared by more than one household group, you may live in a House of Multiple Occupation (HMO). These types of property have some different rules around them. If you would like more information on HMOs then please visit the House in Multiple Occupation Page.

Other Information