Thinking of evicting?

Housing Advice Team may be able to help you to resolve tenancy issues or problems with your tenant. Preventing homelessness is beneficial for both landlords and tenants. If you are considering serving notice on your tenant to leave the property, please contact the Housing Advice Team first on 01905 722589 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

What notice do I serve?

To find this out check the tenancy agreement you have signed with your tenant. Once you have found this out you will then be able to determine the correct notice to serve. Serving the correct notice is important because if your tenant refuses to leave the property you must then go to court to enforce the notice; if your original notice is incorrect you will have to start the process all over again. Shelter and GOV.UK provide some guidance.

My tenant won't leave

If correct notice has been served but your tenant is unwilling to leave the property at the end of the tenancy you must obtain a Possession Order from the County Court in order to legally evict them. It is extremely important that you as the landlord follow the correct legal procedure before evicting a tenant. Failure to do so may result in legal action taken against you by Worcester City Council for an unlawful eviction.

Can I evict my tenant myself?

No, the only person who can legally evict a tenant is a Court Appointed Bailiff. The bailiff will execute the Possession Order which has been issued to you by the County Court. If you are unsure what the procedure is for eviction the GOV.UK website provides advice on evicting tenants

How do I gain entry to my property?

As a landlord, you are allowed to gain entry to your property if required. You are required to give reasonable notice to your tenant of at least 24 hours. We recommend that you give as long a notification period as possible before your visit.

Mortgage arrears or threat of being repossessed

If you are a landlord of a property and you are experiencing financial problems and struggling to meet your mortgage payments, you must act now as the sooner you act the more chance there is of resolving your problem.

You should first speak to your mortgage lender to inform them of your current situation and see if they can offer any solutions. You should contact Citizen Advice or the National Debtline who can offer confidential debt advice. 

Worcester Landlords Forum

We aim to organise a Landlords Forum annually to promote good relationships with and between the city’s landlords. These events will have speakers to provide the latest updates and advice. Contact the Private Sector Housing Team for more information.

  • Private Sector Housing Team - Tel: 01905 722288 - Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Other Information