Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support is a Government scheme designed to help people on low incomes pay their rent and Council Tax.

How much would I get? 

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support are means-tested benefits. The amount you receive can depend on:

  • your income;
  • your savings;
  • the size of the property, the amount of your rent; and
  • who else lives with you

You can get an estimate of your housing benefit using an online Benefits Calculator.

You can apply for either Housing benefit, Council Tax support or both by completing the online claim form. Link to online claim form Once you have completed the form you will see an evidence checklist which lists documents we need to assess your claim.

You can e-mail the evidence required to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. quoting your claim number in the subject heading, or you can hand in your documents at The Hive contact centre.

If you are already receiving housing benefit or council tax support but the benefit payment amount does not cover your total rent / council tax bill, then you may be able to get extra help for housing costs by applying for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP). DHP’s are not benefit payments.

For details of other benefits to which you may be entitled, visit Gov.uk  or  Citizens Advice. You can also find what the rates of benefit are by visiting Rightsnet.

Make a benefits claim online

Apply now and find out if you qualify straightaway and see how much you will get. You will know that your claim has been received by us as you will get a reply as soon as you apply.

Start a new calculation/claim or return to a calculation/claim you have saved


If you have difficulty completing an online claim, you can book an appointment with the Benefits Service.

How we pay your Housing Benefit

We cannot pay your benefit by cheque, if you do not have a bank account you can open a basic bank account.