To apply for discretionary housing payment, you must:

  •     be receiving Housing Benefit,  or
  •     be in receipt of Universal Credit with a Housing Costs element

If the benefit payment amount does not cover your total rent, then you can apply for this additional payment.

Discretionary housing payments are not payments of housing benefit and there is only a certain amount of money available each year so it's important that you make your claim as soon as possible.

You can apply for discretionary housing payment by downloading and completing the pdf discretionary housing payment form (277 KB) . Or you can get a form at our Customer Service Centre at:

Customer Service Centre
89 The High Street

Alternatively, call 03004 560560 and ask for a form to be sent to you.

We aim to deal with your claim within 28 days.