An overpayment can happen if we pay you benefit that you are not entitled to.

For example, if you didn't tell us that your income had increased, and a recalculation of your benefit means that you had been paid too much benefit, there will be an overpayment.

An overpayment is recoverable from either the person who caused the overpayment or the person who received the overpayment.

If we give you too much benefit, we will send you a letter. The letter we send you will tell you:

  • why we gave you too much benefit
  • how much the overpayment is
  • if you have to pay back the amount
  • how you can appeal if you think this is wrong

If the overpayment relates to council tax support, we will send you a revised council tax bill, and you will usually have to pay more council tax.

You can ask us to review the decision to calculate an overpayment but you must make the request for a review within one month of the decision notice.

For further information on appeals please see the information on Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support Appeals.

Please Note: We may also decide to take criminal proceedings in respect of fraudulent overpayments.