Skip to main content
How can we help you?
Housing Benefit & Council Tax Support

Benefits Cap


The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) have the sole responsibility for calculating whether a benefit cap will apply to you.  The Council administers the cap by reducing your Housing Benefit payments.  The Council has no discretion whether or not to apply the cap.

The cap is a limit on the total amount of benefit that people of working age can receive.  The benefit cap means that working age claimants will be paid no more in benefits than the average of the net earned income of working households, even if their full entitlement would otherwise be higher. 

More information on the Benefit Cap including who it does and does not affect along with a Benefit Cap calculator, can be found by using the following link:

Benefit Cap -