Skip to main content
How can we help you?
Universal Credit

Apply for Universal Credit

How do I apply and what will I need to make a claim?

Claims can only be made online through the official Universal Credit website here.  If you and your partner live together then you will need to apply as a couple.
To apply you will need:

  • An active email address
  • A mobile phone number
  • Details of your bank account, building society or credit union account
  • Your rent or mortgage costs
  • Your wage details
  • Details of any savings or investments
  • Your National Insurance Number
  • Details of any children and/or your partner
  • Details of how much you pay for childcare (if applying for help with childcare costs)

You also have to verify your identity which can be done by appointment in person at your local Jobcentre or online. To do this you will need ID such as:

  • Driving licence
  • Passport
  • Debit or credit card

Other forms of ID are accepted. Ask at your local Jobcentre for details.

Guides to help homeless people claim and manage Universal Credit

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has published guides for homeless people and the organisations supporting them when making and managing a Universal Credit claim. The guides give specialised guidance for people experiencing homelessness and have been developed with a range of stakeholders in the homelessness and advice sectors.

What if I do not have access to the internet?

If you do not have access to the internet then you can use computers for free at the Hive or your local library:

You will need to be a library member and have your library card with you to use a computer.

Getting help to apply for Universal Credit

  • The Citizens Advice Help to Claim service can support you in the early stages of your Universal Credit claim, from the online application, through to support with your application before your first full payment.
  • It’s a free, independent, confidential and impartial service provided by trained advisers from Citizens Advice. They can help with things like how to gather evidence for your application or how to prepare for your work coach appointment.
  • Call for free:
    0800 144 8 444 (England)
    08000 241 220 (Wales)
  • Call in to:
    Worcester Citizens Advice Bureau and WHABAC, The Hopmarket, The Foregate. Worcester WR1 1DL. Open for drop-in 9.30am – 4 pm, Monday – Friday (closed Thursdays)
  • Get support online:  or find your nearest face to face service   
  • You can also find out more information about Universal Credit on the Citizens Advice website

Improve your digital skills

Courses and free sessions are available to help you improve your confidence and learn new skills when using a computer and going online. also offers free training.

Advice for the self-employed

While Universal Credit works in principle in the same way for people who are self-employed, there are some differences in how the amount you receive is calculated. The Money Advice Service has more information here.