Garden Waste Collection Service

Can I have more than one bin?

Yes, you will need to pay the subscription fee for each bin. You need only pay the £10 registration charge once.

When will my first collection be once my bin is delivered?

When we deliver your bin, you will be provided with a calendar and letter notifying you of your collection day and collection week (either week one or week two). Please use the calendar to check for your first collection day.

How long does my subscription last?

12 months from the first collection day, this week is known as your "anniversary date".

How will I know when my subscription has run out?

You will be notified in writing one month before your annual subscription runs out. Payment must be made a minimum of 3 days before your anniversary date to ensure your collections will continue uninterrupted.

What happens if I do not pay for the following year and my subscription runs out?

If payment is not received, collections will be suspended on your anniversary date. After your anniversary date, your service will be cancelled and your bin removed.

If my bin is taken away and then I decide that I would like to take up the service again, will I have to pay the registration fee again?

If your bin is removed due to non-payment, please register as a new customer here, and click on ‘Garden waste service’. Your service will resume from the next scheduled collection date after your bin is returned to you. This will be your new anniversary date.

Can I have a refund if I change my mind about the service and decide I do not want it anymore?

Part refunds are not available if you cancel the service during the year.

What if I move house, can I take the bin with me?

If you are moving house, you should notify the City Council as soon as possible. You are welcome to move the bin yourself, as long as you have first obtained agreement from the City Council by emailing This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or writing to us at Garden Waste Team, Environmental Operations, Warndon Depot, Pershore Lane, Worcester, WR4 0AA. If you need us to move the bin for you this is no problem, but please give us plenty of advance notice.

If you are moving out of the City, please leave the bin accessible at the front of the property and let us know when you are moving, so that we can arrange the removal of the bin.

If you are not sure whether your new property is within Worcester City Council’s operational area, you can check by entering your postcode at

I no longer require the service.

Please contact Customer Services on 01905 722233 or by contacting us here (then select 'Remove Bin') and choose 'Brown Bin' from the options listed. We will then arrange the collection of the bin. There are no refunds for collections not made, due to early cancellation.

Are there any concessions for elderly or disabled people?

Sorry, there are no concessions.

I currently have an assisted collection for my bins. Will I be able to have the same help if I subscribe to the Garden Waste scheme?

Yes, the brown wheelie bin for garden waste will be collected from wherever your black or green bin is currently collected.

I am not able to have wheelie bins where I live, can I join this scheme?

No, we are unable to collect garden waste in sacks.

Can I share a bin with a neighbour?

Yes - but your bin must be registered and collected from the same household. It is then up to the neighbours to sort out sharing the bin and the costs.

My bin has not been collected, what should I do?

Please check your calendar to make sure your bin was due to be collected. Was your bin put out for collection before 7.00am? Has your bin been left in the correct location? Is your bin contaminated or overweight? Has a tag been left explaining why?

If your bin has been missed, no tag has been left, or your bin was out before 7:00am and in the correct location, please report your missed bin here or contact the Worcester City Council on 01905 722233

I have been told that my bin is contaminated, what can I do now?

See the information on the tag, remove the contamination and re-present your bin on your next scheduled collection. You have the option to take the contents to one of the Household Waste and Recycling Sites in the meantime.

My bin is getting really dirty, will the Council clean it?

It is your responsibility to clean your bin. The Council does not offer a cleaning service nor recommends any companies that carry out a service like this.

What happens to the garden waste that is collected?

The waste will be taken to a composting facility at Hill and Moor near Pershore. There is also a second site being sought in Herefordshire for the future. Garden waste collected from household collections is composted at the site, resulting in a soil conditioner called "Greengrow". It is available for sale by bags from Household Recycling Centres and bulk loads from Hill and Moor. Please phone 01386 443376 to check availability.

I am new to the area where should I leave my bin for collection?

Your bin should be placed on the front edge of your property before 7:00am on the day of collection. If you are in any doubt, please contact Customer Services on 01905 722233 for further advice.

What am I allowed and what am I not allowed to put in my bin?

A list of what you can and cannot put into your bin is detailed in the leaflet and this information is also on the lid of your bin.

You can put all of your compostable garden waste in a brown 240-litre wheelie bin. It takes lawn cuttings, hedge clippings, leaves, twigs, dead flowers, old plants and as many weeds as you can dig up.

Also remember that your garden waste service crew have to be able to move your bin safely; while we will take fallen fruit, please be mindful of the weight of your bin.

You cannot put in kitchen or food waste (food, peelings, tea bags, egg shells etc.), plastic bags, pots or trays, pet bedding – soiled or otherwise, rubble bricks, soil or stones, tree stumps or branches over 10cm (4") in diameter.

Yes Please No Thanks Graphic

What can I do with my green waste during winter months?

You can take garden waste to your local Household Waste Site for composting. Please see information on recycling bring sites in the City.

What happens if my bin is damaged?

If your bin is damaged please report it here or contact Customer Services on 01905 722233 and we will arrange for a replacement.  Please note that if you have damaged your bin you may be liable for the cost of a replacement.

I have a business; can I opt in to the scheme?

The service is only available to addresses in Worcester registered for domestic Council Tax. Business customers are not eligible.

Will the registration fee and annual service charge increase each year?

The registration fee and annual service charge may increase each year. The revised charges are agreed upon by the Council each year and apply from 1 April to 31 March.