Skip to main content
How can we help you?

New premises licence applications

A premises licence allows a premises to be used for one or more "licensable activities".

The Licensing Act 2003 says that the following are licensable activities:

  • The sale by retail of alcohol
  • The provision of regulated entertainment
  • The provision of late night refreshment

More information on premises licences and how to apply can be viewed on the DirectGov website.

Applying for a premises licence

Detailed guidance notes on how to apply for a premises licence have been written by the Home Office and can be downloaded here:

pdf Home Office Guidance - Application for a premises licence October 2012 (57 KB)

From 6th April 2017 individuals applying for the grant of a premises licences have to submit documentation with their application to demonstrate they have permission to be in the UK and are entitled to undertake work relating to the carrying on of a licensable activity. Applicants may provide clear photocopies or scanned copies of documents, which can either be in black and white or colour, and do not need to be endorsed as a copy of the original. Applicants should not submit original documents.

A list of acceptable documentation is here:

pdf List of acceptable documents to show entitlement to work (116 KB)

To help make your application process run more smoothly, Worcestershire Regulatory Services now offers a pre-application assistance service.

Apply online

 We are currently unable to process online applications via the GOV.UK portal. If you wish you submit an online application please:

  1. Make the required payment via the Council’s pay-it webpage, by choosing “Regulatory Services” and then “Premises Licence” payment option.
  2. Email completed application forms (a link to the application form is available below), all accompanying documentation and proof of payment to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please ensure that proof of payment is included with your application email.

Apply by post

If you are applying by post you will need to send your application to us at:

Worcester City Council Licensing, Worcestershire Regulatory Services, Wyre Forest House, Kidderminster, Worcestershire, DY11 7WF

You can download an application form for a premises licence here:

document Application for a NEW premises licence to be granted (124 KB)

Copies of your application will also need to be sent to all of the responsible authorities, whose contact details can be found here:

pdf Responsible Authorities List (151 KB)

If you want permission to use the premises for the sale of alcohol, you will need to name in the application a person who will act as designated premises supervisor (DPS). This person must agree to being nominated as the DPS by completing this form:

document DPS Consent Form (39 KB)

A template for the public notice that needs to be displayed at the premises and published in a local newspaper, circular or similar document can be downloaded below. Please note that the notice displayed at the relevant premises must be printed on light blue paper.

document Public Notice Template (119 KB)

A table of the fees that must be paid for applications made under the Licensing Act 2003 can found on our licensing fees and charges page.

You can find out the non-domestic rateable value of the relevant premises by visiting the Valuation Office Agency website.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. After the 28 day consultation period has expired, if no representations have been received from responsible authorities or other persons, then the licence is granted as applied for. We will issue the licence shortly after.

If there is a representation from a responsible authority other person then this will cause the application to be considered by the Licensing Sub-Committee. A hearing will be arranged within 56 days from the date the application is made.

In this section