Skip to main content
How can we help you?

Caravan sites

Caravan Sites – Fit and proper person test

The Mobile Homes (Requirement for Manager of Site to be Fit and Proper Person) (England) Regulations 2020 ("the Regulations") introduced a fit and proper person test for mobile home site owners or the person appointed to manage the site, unless exempted by the Regulations.

Applications to be added to the register of fit and proper persons will need to be made from 1 July 2021 onwards. For more information on the requirements visit Caravan Sites – Fit and proper person test

What is a caravan?

In law the term caravan includes those which can be towed behind cars, motor homes, static holiday homes and the more modern residential park homes, which often arrive on site in two sections and are then bolted together.

The law covering caravan sites

The law covering caravans is contained in:

  • Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 - This act covers the licensing of caravan sites and the safety, welfare and management conditions which need to be provided.
  • Caravan Sites Act 1968 - This act deals with protection from eviction from residential sites and the maximum dimensions for caravans.
  • The Mobile Homes Act 1983 - This act covers the civil law between site owners and residents on 'protected sites'. A protected site is one which has planning permission for permanent residential use and has been issued with a site licence.

The first two Acts are enforced by us but the Mobile Homes Act may involve County Court action by residents or site owners themselves to resolve any disputes.

Caravan site licences

Applications for site licences are made to the local authority in whose area the land is situated. Applications must be in writing, should detail the land the application concerns and any other information required by the local authority.

In order to be eligible to be issued with a licence you must be entitled to use the land as a caravan site. In addition licences will not be issued to you if you have had a site licence revoked within three years of the current application.

We can only issue a licence for a new caravan site after the site has received the necessary planning permission and a completed application for a site licence.

We may also agree to the transfer of an existing licence to a new licensee.

Apply online

 We are currently unable to process online applications via the GOV.UK portal.

If you wish you submit an online application please:


  1. Make the required payment via the Council’s pay-it webpage, by choosing “Regulatory Services” and then “Tattoos/Acupuncture (other)” payment option.
  2. Email completed application forms (a link to the application form is available below), all  accompanying documentation and proof of payment to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please ensure that proof of payment is included with your application email.

Apply by post

Your application form should be sent to:

Worcester City Council Licensing, Worcestershire Regulatory Services, Wyre Forest House, Kidderminster, Worcestershire, DY11 7WF

The application form can be downloaded here:

document Caravan Site application form (212 KB)

You do not have to pay a fee to apply for a caravan site licence.

Will tacit consent apply?

No, it is in the public interest that we process and consider all applications.

In this section