Skip to main content
How can we help you?

Busking and Street Entertainment in Worcester

What is busking?

‘Busking’ means music, dance, street theatre, performance and art offered live in public spaces for the purposes of entertaining, interacting with members of the public, and receiving voluntary contributions.

Busking is important to the vibrancy of our city centre and Worcester City Council is keen to encourage live music and performance which enhances the experience of visitors to the city centre.

Do I need a licence to busk?

Busking does not require a licence and is welcome on public land however as with all use of public space, there is the expectation that everyone will act reasonably in sharing the space with everyone - shoppers, business and other buskers.

You will need either a 'Street Collection Permit' or 'Street Trading licence', only if:-

Guidance for buskers and street entertainers

Worcester City Council has drawn up some guidance for buskers and street entertainers. The guide gives performers, the public, residents and businesses the knowledge to work together to reduce complaints and enhance the experience for all users of the city centre.

Before busking in Worcester City, please read the:-

The guide has been drawn up in consultation with:-

  • The people of Worcester
  • The Musicians' Union
  • Equity
  • The Keep Streets Live Campaign
  • Worcester Music Festival
  • SLAP Magazine
  • Local buskers
  • Worcester BID and representatives from local business
  • Worcestershire Regulatory Services

With grateful acknowledgement to Birmingham City Council for their generous support with the creation of the guide.

In this section