Trees make places work, look and feel better. Trees play a role in climate-proofing our neighbourhoods and supporting human health and environmental well-being; trees can also help to create conditions for economic success. Trees which are covered by Tree Preservation Orders (TPOs), or which are located within conservation areas, are protected by law. In these cases you will need permission from the City Council before you carry out work on them, unless the work is exempt.

For further information concerning trees please visit the Arboricultural Association's website.

Information on all other works to trees (not covered by TPOs or in conservation areas, and not high hedges) can be found in the pdf City Council's tree information document (75 KB) . This includes dangerous trees and tree root issues.

Tree Preservation Orders

Tree Preservation Orders can be made by the local authority to protect trees for public enjoyment and amenity; these trees are protected by law, and unlawful works to them are an offence which can be prosecuted in the magistrates’ court or county court.

The City Council can provide information on which trees are covered by TPOs and how to apply for works to trees.

Trees in conservation areas

Trees in conservation areas are also protected by law, A ‘section 211 notice’ must be submitted, giving the local authority the option to make a Tree Preservation Order or to allow the work.

You can search My Local Area to see if your property is in a conservation area.

High Hedges

Hedges have many benefits; they can provide privacy and wind shelter and encourage wildlife. A hedge can also be an attractive feature in its own right. However, very high hedges can cause problems. Often the worst of these is the loss of sunlight and daylight to neighbouring gardens and houses. The City Council administers a process for determining disputes between neighbours over high hedges.

Who should undertake tree work?

It is always advisable to engage a competent and qualified Tree Contractor to carry out any work to trees. The City Council recommend you visit the Arboricultural Association’s web pages to find qualified Tree Contractors.