We have received a report of people using fake identification and pretending to be Planning Enforcement Officers from the council to gain access to a property. Please treat any visitors with caution and if you experience anything suspicious, please contact us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Local Planning Enforcement Plan Consultation.

The consultation period (13th February to 27th March 2023) of the draft Local Planning Enforcement Plan has now ended. The comments received are being reviewed.

pdf Local Planning Enforcement Plan 2023.pdf (14.62 MB)

The document intends to set out high-level general principles and provide members of the public and other stakeholders with a clear usable guide as to what can be expected from the Planning Enforcement service. It provides information to the public about the different types of planning enforcement issues that the city council may have to investigate and just as importantly, what is not a planning enforcement issue at all. The Plan explains how breaches of planning control might be resolved and if formal action is necessary, the different types of enforcement notice that can be resolved. 

The Plan also provides guidance on how to make a planning enforcement related complaint - the key information the council needs to commence an investigation and explains more generally how the service is delivered, with a focus on negotiation and voluntary compliance, with formal enforcement action and the serving of notices as a last resort. The Plan provides a clear framework for prioritising planning enforcement investigations, to focus limited resources on those breaches of planning control that cause or have the potential to cause the greatest social and environmental impact.

What is Planning Enforcement?

Planning Enforcement plays an essential role in delivering an effective and efficient planning service. Its role involves monitoring ongoing development and investigating possible breaches of planning control and seeking resolutions to planning problems.

What is a 'Breach in Planning Control'?

A breach in planning control can include the following:

  • Building work and/or a material change of use undertaken without planning permission being granted
  • Development not being carried out in accordance with the approved plans of a planning permission
  • Non-compliance with conditions attached to a planning permission

Other breaches of planning enforcement legislation can include the following:

  • Works being carried out on a listed building which affect its character without listed building consent being granted
  • Non-compliance with conditions attached to a listed building consent
  • The display of advertisements for which express consent is required but not granted
  • The removal of protected trees and/or trees situated within a conservation area for which notification or consent is required but not given
  • Untidy land or buildings which affect local amenity

Please use our attached pdf Planning Enforcement Checklist (354 KB)  to see if the planning team can help with your enquiry.

Please be aware that dangerous buildings are dealt with by Building Control and high hedge complaints by the Tree Protection Officer.

What we do

When a breach of planning control is reported to the Local Planning Authority, or it is otherwise discovered, it is investigated in accordance with the Council's pdf Planning Enforcement Policy (178 KB) . Enforcement is discretionary where a breach occurs. It has to be in the public interest that action is taken and enforcement action should be commensurate with the breach of planning control.

Reporting an issue

Make a planning enforcement complaint

Alternatively contact the Planning Enforcement Officer via email or post at the below addresses:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Planning Enforcement Officer
The Guildhall
High Street

If you are contacting us in writing, please provide your name, address, telephone number, address to the which the enquiry related, as well as the details of the enquiry and when the use/development commenced for us to be able to investigate the issue.

Further details can be found on the pdf Planning Enforcement Checklist (354 KB)