What is Permitted Development?

You can make certain types of minor changes to your house without needing to apply for planning permission. These are called "permitted development rights"

There is "permitted development" for a wide range of building works but they can be different from one property to the next, depending upon whether the house is a listed building, is in a conservation area, the type of works proposed and its position on the house.

Therefore you should proceed with care. One way of checking whether your proposal needs permission is to view the householder's guide on the Planning Portal that can explain permitted development for all types of house and proposal.

The City Council also provide a ‘Permitted Development Enquiry' service, which for the avoidance of doubt will provide a written response to the applicant concerning whether the development they wish to proceed with is permitted development or whether a formal application for planning permission is needed.

The service is chargeable and the pdf fees can be found here (54 KB)

Please check that your property falls within Worcester City Council administrative boundaryWe are unable to respond to property queries outside of Worcester City (refunds are subject to £10 administrative fee).

Submit a permitted development enquiry