Councils are responsible for administering complaints about high hedges made under Part 8 of the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003. Making a formal high hedge complaint should be a last resort, and complainants should be able to demonstrate that they have tried to resolve the issue with the hedge owner, including attempting mediation, before submitting a complaint to the Council.

What constitutes a high hedge, and what is a valid complaint?

For trees or shrubs to be considered as a high hedge under the Act they must be all of the following:

  • Made up of a line of two or more trees or shrubs
  • Mostly evergreen or semi-evergreen
  • More than two metres in height above ground level
  • Even though there are gaps in the foliage or between the trees, the hedge is still capable of obstructing light or views

The Council can only consider a complaint if it satisfies all of the following criteria

  • It must relate to a high hedge as defined in the Act (see above)
  • It must be on land owned by someone other than the complainant
  • It must be affecting a domestic property
  • It must be brought on the grounds that the height of the hedge is adversely affecting the reasonable enjoyment of the domestic property
  • It must be brought by the owner or occupier of that property

View a summary of Government guidance or the full detailed guidance.

How is the complaint dealt with?

View further information on pdf how a high hedge complaint is dealt with (222 KB)  by the Council.

Worcester City Council charges a fee of £500 for high hedge complaints (or £250 for those on benefits) which needs to be submitted together with the pdf high hedge complaint form (151 KB) . Please be aware that the complaint cannot be dealt with until payment has been received by the Council.

Please submit the form by email or post, to:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Planning Department
Worcester City Council
The Guildhall
High Street