Revenues & Benefits - Privacy Notice
Service being provided
Administration of the collection of Council Tax and Business Rates billing, claims for Housing benefit, claims under the Council tax Reduction Scheme and to assist with recovery of unpaid Council tax, Business rates or overpaid Housing Benefits.
Categories of personal data we need to collect
- Contact Details
- Financial including those of your partner or any dependents; or non dependants
- Date of Birth
- Household composition
- National Insurance Number
- Any other information needed to process your claim, such landlord details, employment details etc
Categories of ‘special’ personal data we need to collect
Medical information if required to support your claim
Consequences of failing to provide personal data
If you do not provide the required personal data it may delay or prevent the facilitation of the above services.
Data Controller and Processors
The Data Controller is Worcester City Council
The Data Protection Officer for Worcester City Council can be contacted at email@example.com
Civica is a Data Processor supporting this purpose.
Purpose of Processing & Lawful Basis
- Service Delivery
- Service planning/Improvement
- Prevention or Detection of Fraud/Crime
Our legal basis for using your personal data is:
- performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority as provided for by:
- Social Security Contributions and Benefits Act 1992
- Social Security Administration Act 1992
- Social Security Act 1998
- The Housing Benefit Regulations 2006 (as amended)
- Local Government Finance Act 1992
- Local Government Finance Act 2012
- The Council Tax Reduction Schemes (Default Scheme) (England) Regulations 2012
- And any other applicable legislation
Our legal basis for using your Special Categories of data is:
- processing is necessary for the purposes of carrying out the obligations of the controller on the basis of the above legislation.
Who we share the information with
We may share your information with partner organisations,
- Registered Social Landlords
- The Department for Work and Pensions
- Health & Social Care Organisations such as Worcestershire Health and Care Trust
- Government Agencies
- External Auditors and regulators
- Enforcement Agents instructed on our behalf
We will use the information you have supplied to process your claim and/or administer housing benefit. We will check some of the information with other sources to ensure the information you have provided is accurate.
We will not normally share your information with organisations other than our partner organisations without your consent; however, there may be certain circumstances where we would share without consent such as where we are required to do so by law, to safeguard public safety, and in risk of harm or emergency situations. Any information which is shared will only be shared on a need to know basis, with appropriate individuals. Only the minimum information for the purpose will be shared.
Information which has been submitted to us in relation to business rates is published online in the interests of transparency. This could include the name of the business owner in some circumstances. If we have published information in relation to business rates which you wish to be redacted, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org in order to have your request considered.
How long we hold your information
We will only keep your information for the minimum period necessary. The information outlined in this privacy notice will be kept in accordance with our retention schedule. All information will be held securely and destroyed under confidential conditions.
Individual Legal Rights
Our use of your data will be subject to the following legal rights:
- Your Right to be Informed
- Your Right to Access your personal data
- Your Right for us to Rectify your personal data
- Your Right to Object to how we use your personal data